Sunday, November 1, 2015

Pilot birdie assembly

Pilot birdie. Another underated pen. I couldn't find a picture about how to disassemble it, but knowing pilot, I went ahead. Was quite difficult using the common methods but took only a second with the pilot trick. Used pen, cleaned it until it is new again. Thinking if I should ink it up again or let it rest...





Update: I thought removing a pilot nib is easy enough, but I still see people needing help and there. And therefore, I am updating this to include the pilot trick. This was taught to me by a pilot master. Who? Don't ask. :p

1) wet your nib and feed with plain water. use a converter.

2) get a piece of disposable chopstick, cut to length. which length? depends. if you are using a birdie, you can cut a little longer than the pen body so that you can fit it into the pen body and slowly screw the pen feed out. no extra strength is required. or, you can cut it long enough to hold and push, like in the picture. Just remember to either point it at your enemy or hold onto it.


3 comments:

  1. Hi.. I would like to ask how you were able to separate the nib from the feed.. my nib is stuck on the same pen model.. thank you..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. scotch tape on the top of the nib, and slow wiggle it. wet the unit first. if it is stuck, most probably there is a lot of residue ink between it.
      in the extreme case, use a pen knife and slowly, real slowly, push it bit by bit from the edge of the nib where it touches the feed. be very gentle and careful doing this, as the feed can break with excessive force. i did that before on another birdie and really broke sweat but did take it out.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for your help! It totally did the trick :_)

    ReplyDelete